Friday, December 31, 2010

Obligatory end of the year navel gazing

I have mixed feelings about the holidays. Yes, I like to see family and eat turkey. Yes, a little down time is always good. Yes, hooray for Santa and Baby New Year.

But the simple fact is that Hollywood and the publishing industry shuts down hard, and the result is that old Uncle Victor has to sit in the dark until everyone comes up for air again. I am on pins and needles waiting to hear how funding will go on film versions of two of my novels. I have three screenplays going through the same process. I have a novel project which might (or might not) click into place. I am on pins. I am on needles. And all I can do is wait.

This isn't anybody's fault. Hey, it's the holidays. I don't grudge people taking time off, seeing family, the usual. What it boils down to is this: I'm EXCITED about these projects, and that makes all the difference. When I was in school I dreaded the end of the holidays. Now I'm excited to get back to all of these things that have been on my brain every waking moment.

Feel free to check out a sampling of these exciting projects.

How about you guys? What are you looking forward to? What are you excited about?

6 comments:

Stacey Cochran said...

I've been working on my 2nd major filmmaking project for pretty much all of the year. After doing a fictional short film in late 2009 (screened in April 2010), I decided to take a shot at a documentary. After a summer of pre-planning with two producer friends, we started filming in August.

Interestingly (perhaps), I've decided to apply to Duke's new MFA program in documentary filmmaking, and so this project has made its way into my portfolio demo reel.

One of my producers managed to pitch the project in person to this heavyweight, and so the stress level went up ten-fold to do something really, really good.

Also, I'm working with Al Guthrie on editing a novel (that I fully believed was a total mess) into some sort of semblance of a publishable manuscript... so that's also really exciting (and not a little intimidating).

So my professional goals for 2011:

1) Apply to Duke's MFA program

2) Finish documentary

3) Finish editing ms. with Al

And maybe in the back of my mind is a fourth goal to work toward another short film with an amazing screenwriter like Victor Gischler at the helm of the project by year's end. ;)

Jerry House said...

While I'm not hoping for an all-Gischler, all-the-time, 24/7 new year, I do hope for a heavily-laden Gischler 2011.

Beyond that, happiness, peace and health for all and that my cat gets a little friendlier.

J. R. McLemore said...

I've got three (yes, three) novels I have to edit from 2010. I also have a couple of short stories that I've completed and hope to shop around. Since the publishing industry has all but closed until the new year, I am waiting as you are Victor, (on pins and needles) for the appropriate time to begin submitting them to certain markets with the hopes of earning more publishing credits before I begin shopping around one of my completed manuscripts.

Also, I hope to read some more of your work during the new year. Hope the new year is better than 2010!

Steve Malley said...

I'm pretty damn giddy waiting to see what you come up with next. Seriously, every one of your books has been a gem. :)

I'm also excited about getting more of my work out on Kindle-- kinda loving this ebook thing!

Victor Gischler said...

Thanks, guys. Your kind words give me tingles. And I'm glad many of you have your own projects in the works. Fingers crossed for all of us.

VG

jack everett said...

I've been on tenterhooks awaiting my novel 1/1:Jihad-Britain coming out on Kindle. It's a political, crime thriller which asks what sort of things follow 9/11.
Anyone interested in reviewing it let me know and a copy will wing its way to you across the airwaves.
Not quite as interesting as Victor's film news but a cracking read.jack.everett@lineone.net