Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Alter-Ego: Emerson LaSalle





































Folks, there is an Emerson LaSalle short story called "Harry Truman vs The Aliens" available right here.

Please don't buy it.

Uh ... what?

That's right. I'm asking you NOT to buy it. That's because starting tomorrow the short story will be free for five days. If you are among the handful of people that actually shelled out .99 cents for it, you have my sincere thanks, but if it were up to me, the short story would always be free because it was written specifically to get you interested in what is to come later.

Some time ago, a lot of us had some fun on the inter-web-net writing fake reviews and scholarly articles on the works of pulp legend Emerson LaSalle. Some clever wags even had a wikipedia entry up for him. I always wanted to write crazy pulp sci-fi dime novels novels like those pictured in this post (just to set the mood), but I wanted the author to be an equally outrageous work of fiction himself. Thus LaSalle was born.

"Harry Truman vs The Aliens" stands pretty well all on its own as a short story, but really it's the prologue for the forthcoming LaSalle classic THERE ARE ALIENS BEHIND URANUS, MR. PRESIDENT. More "classic" LaSalle "reprints" will follow.

If you're a blogger or run a Science Fiction website and would like to interview me about this new project, then great. If you'd like to spread the workd on Twitter or Facebook, also awesome. If you'd like to "reprint" an old LaSalle interview from 1956, that can be arranged. Have fun pretending. Check www.emersonlasalle.com for more info.

But what I'd REALLY like is to give away a bunch of these freebies. Nothing would make me happier than to hear "Harry Truman vs The Aliens" was downloaded 10,000 times.

Thanks in advance for your help spreading the word.

More as doings unfold ...

5 comments:

Victor Gischler said...

Some of my fave LaSalle "scholarship" from Pretty Fakes:

http://prettyfakes.com/2007/11/remembering-emerson-lasalle/

John DuMond said...

Sweet! I'm there.

Donna said...

Bill Crider posted it on his site and also on Facebook, which is where I found it. I didn't catch on right away, until after I'd downloaded it. Looking forward to more of LaSalle's oeuvre being released on Kindle.

Victor Gischler said...

Thanks, everyone!

Graham Powell said...

"Hey, you created me. I didn't create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility!"

Tyler Durden or Emerson LaSalle?